Thursday, December 8, 2011

What's Your Image of Christmas?

Christmas has so many faces to it, don't you think?  I mean, there's the Nativity, Baby Jesus, Santa, trees, boots... the list goes on and on - and it is different for each of us.  Yes, there are common things we think of...
Ornaments of any kind - these happen to be like the ones my parents have.
Winter scenes - there's always snow at Christmas - except in Phoenix.  
And we can't forget good ole' St. Nicholas.
Oranges and nuts - Santa always left those in my stocking - quite different from today.  My girls would not know what to do with an orange and a handful of nuts.
The traditional Christmas dinner - what's your family's traditional dinner?
And the stockings were hung by the chimney with care...
 Christmas candles are everywhere - in every room.
But the real reason for the season is the birth of Jesus Christ.
All of this makes me reflect back on my Christmases as a child, what traditions I chose to carry on, how all of this shaped me, and what Christmas means to me today, as compared to 5, 10, 20 years ago.    I guess I was just doing some heavy-duty thinking as we start into this holiday season.

3 comments:

Marti said...

The traditions that I had as a child mean so much to me now. It is a connection with those I loved, a reminder of a simpler time, and a revisiting of the joy of the season, yes, and a birthday party for Jesus.

Katie said...

I would eat an orange.

tainted with a positive view said...

Oh, Kate, you make me laugh! I know you love a good orange.